Saturday, September 20, 2008

Honey and Peanut Cupcakes

Here are some cupcakes I made earlier in the week.I followed this recipe almost exactly. The cupcake is a chiffon cake base sweetened with honey rather than sugar and with a layer of salted peanuts inside. The frosting is a cream cheese base, also sweetened with honey (as if the icing sugar doesn't sweeten it enough, right?) with chopped and salted peanuts on top.

The cupcake itself was a little on the dry side. I think that the baking time given in the recipe is too long. Next time I think I would cut it down to 19-20 minutes.

The frosting, on the other hand, is incredible. It is one of the most delicious frostings I have tried and is definitely the best cream cheese frosting recipe I've used, in terms of taste and how well it pipes. Often cream cheese frosting is too soft to hold its shape when piped, but this frosting holds a soft, delicate shape without losing the cream cheese taste and texture.

The concept is wonderful. The sweetness of the cupcakes combined with the saltiness of the peanuts is to die for. This is a great way to spice up an otherwise ordinary cupcake.

Overall, I would definitely make this style of cupcake again, but would most likely try a different cake recipe.

4 comments:

judith said...

They sound excellent... Your cup cakes look better than the ones in the recipe... love the way you use the large piping cone to make it smooth.

judith said...

BTW I put my latest sweater and socks on yesterday's post... jomammatexs.blogspot.com

Jacki said...

Thanks Jomamma!

btw those socks look super comfy!

judith said...

Thanks, the only bad thing about hand knitted socks is that you will never want to wear anything other than hand knitted socks once you wear a pair.