Wednesday, August 06, 2008

August 6th Bento Lunch

I decided to keep it simple today.

Sometimes when I get up in the morning I can't figure out what to put in the bento (like when you feel like you have nothing to wear. It's the same feeling). Other times I'll think I have it all planned out only to realize I've still got space left in the bento box after I'm done. Today, I had all kinds of great foods for the bentos, I probably could have filled another tier. It's nice when that happens.
In the left tier is coconut mango rice. The recipe is from Cooking Cute. I made the rice last night and then this morning I cut up the mango and mixed it in. I cut the recipe in half and omitted the sauce topping because I felt like it was sweet enough as is. This is yummy stuff!!

There are also some slices of chorizo sausage (BF's favorite. Too spicy for me) and some sesame fried bok choy with beet flowers on top. This was the last of the pretty beets and they don't have them at the store anymore *sigh*

On the right there is the standard broccoli, asparagus and snow peas along with raspberries and blueberries (broccoli and berries are two of the top ten healthiest foods, so it's good that we eat them every day!). I also made poached quince yesterday by following these instructions. Lastly, there is a small container of pomegranate seeds. I never got around to removing the seeds from the pomegranate last night and did I ever regret it this morning. Getting the pomgranate ready this morning actually took longer than preparing the entire rest of the bento!

I decided that between the sweet rice and the quince, this bento had enough sweet foods so I didn't include a dessert.

I think that if it weren't for my bento habit, I would never have found out so much about my tastes. For example, that I love quince and bison and that I don't like longans. Because I'm on this constant quest to make exciting lunches every day, I find I'm a lot more open to trying new foods. I'm more alert when I'm grocery shopping, rather than just picking up the same old stuff. This is a good thing!

5 comments:

allthingspurple said...

hi Jacki, I was just admiring the beet flowers. Is that the trunk from beetroot or something? It looks like a nice bento item and I was hoping to introduce that to my kids, whom I normally pack bento meals for.

Jacki said...

Hi Allthingspurple!

It's actually a special kind of beet that already has the rings in it. I'm not sure what they're called, they were just being sold as beets at the store. They're really small, about 2.5 - 3" in diameter.

Bev said...

Hi Jacki,

Another great bento. I think it's time you invited me to lunch to try one!

I voted for you.

Anonymous said...

Jacki, what do you do with the beets? Every time I've made beets they bleed all over everything. I love them, but they're a total mess. What do you do to keep them from being a mess?

Jacki said...

Hi Toni,
I don't do anything special with these. I just cut them up and boil them for 6 minutes. This particular type of beet seems to have very little colour in it though, but it has a strong beet taste. Sorry I can't be more help on this one!