Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

Would you believe I don't actually post all the cupcakes I make on my blog? I made some peaches and cream ones on the weekend, and they only lasted for a couple of hours, so I made a new batch last night. I decided on a classic theme of cookies and cream.

The cupcakes are a plain vanila cake with about ten crushed oreos mixed into the batter at the end, just before putting it into the muffin cups. The frosting is a plain vanilla buttercream (since oreo cookie filling is vanilla) and there is half an oreo cookie tucked into the frosting on each one.

Chopping the cookies in half was a bit tricky. The best way I found was to use a sharp, heavy knife, lay it across the cookie and cut it very swiftly. I found that using a diagonal cut made the cookie break into three or four pieces, but holding the knife horizontally only broke a couple out of the dozen that I cut. And cutting too slowly flattens the cookie and makes the filling come out the sides.

I wanted to top them with big dollops of frosting, but I didn't have an icing tip large enough, so I just cut the end off of an icing bag and didn't use a tip at all. I like the way the shape came out, but it left little tiny stripes on the frosting where the seam in the bag was. Looks like I'll have to try and find some seamless bags for next time.

Simple! Delicious!

4 comments:

Lot-O-Choc said...

Mm these look delicious, when I made some cookies n cream cupcakes recently I couldnt cut my cookies in half :( they smashed everywhere so i just took the filling out and cut just the biscuit in half.

Anonymous said...

I know, those cupcakes wouldn't last very long in my house. Yummy!

Holly M. Wendt said...

Those look so good. And I think the plastic-bag frosting trick worked really well--the dollop of frosting is very aesthetically pleasing.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Looks yummy! Kids would love these!